Join us as a
With over 100 vendors, the Salt Spring Saturday Market is one of the original outdoor markets in British Columbia. We are proud to have “Make it, Bake it, Grow it” and “Vendor produced and sold” as our mottos. The regular season for the Saturday Market is April to October with additional markets at Easter and in December. Our society is excited to be taking over responsibility for market operations through an agreement with the Capital Regional District.
The Market Coordinator organises and oversees the Saturday Market, ensuring its smooth and safe operation. The Market Coordinator is responsible for various administrative and financial tasks and for supervising the casual Market staff.
Reports to: Society Board
Rate of Pay: $25,000-$30,000/year
Total weekly hours: 20 approximately (average)
Duties and responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
The Market Coordinator is expected to conduct business politely and courteously with all vendors, the public, staff, and board members. During the busy season, the Coordinator will supervise casual Market staff on Market Days to ensure that operations are conducted professionally.
The Coordinator’s Market Day tasks include:
• Market set-up and tear down
• Ensure compliance with Market rules and regulations
• Collection and reconciliation of vendor fees, deposit money
• Providing customer service to market visitors and customers
• Coordination of musicians, child vendors and non-profit vendors on-site
Other tasks include:
· Prepare weekly stall allocations.
· Create and email out Mailchimp newsletters every Thursday
· Respond to Market phone calls and emails.
- Generate and publish social media posts.
- Maintain vendor seniority points.
The successful candidate will meet the follow criteria:
• Available Saturdays (from the beginning of April or Easter, whichever comes first, to the end of October and December).
• Ability to effectively coordinate others
• Able to lift 50+ pounds
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to maintain a calm and professional demeanor in all circumstances
• Experience handling money
• Proficient computer skills including website management, and MS Excel
• Social media/online marketing experience
• Clear Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
• First Aid Certification
Training will be provided.
Applications will be accepted until 26 January 2024.
Please email your cover letter and your CV/résumé as PDFs to email@example.com
The Salt Spring Island Saturday Market Society is committed to equity, accessibility, diversity and inclusion as an employer. Should you require any accessibility accommodation in your application for this position, please contact us.
Expected start date: 1 March 2024